Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I got nothin, redux

This time I really have nothing to say. I just feel like I need to put something up here on a semi-regular basis or I might as well shutter the place. How about a review? Double feature review, even.

First up on the block is Tarantino's Death Proof. I am told that this was the favorite of audience's between the two Grindhouse movies. Gotta say, though, I was not impressed. It got so bad in the middle that I picked up a book and started reading it. I think I understand that he wanted the audience to be invested in the characters, but I was just bored. The last ten minutes were freaking awesome, but nowhere near made up for the preceding 90 minutes (or thereabouts.) Overall I'd give it about a C+. Without the last ten minutes it would be an F-. If I re-edited it, it would be about half an hour.

Second up is the other Grindhouse flick, Rodriguez' Planet Terror. Holy crap on a stick. This one was everything the other one wasn't. The only thing that really detracted from it is that Rodriguez put Tarantino in a speaking role in it. Just...no. I know they're buddies and all, but actors exist for a reason. Maybe it's just me, but every time I see Tarantino on screen it totally shatters the illusion for me. Crap! I've spent four (now five) sentences bitching about Tarantino! Okay, Planet Terror is awesome because of everything, and I mean everything (except the stuff I already mentioned.)

Okay, now I have nothing again.

5 comments:

The Taco Prophet said...

I really gotta get off my ass and watch Planet Terror.

I also really gotta get off my ass and read your script. Which I'd do on vacation later this week, except that my laptop has been dead, deader, deadest and won't be replaced for a few weeks or months yet. So I'd have to print it out. Which is bad for lots of reasons, primarily among which is the fact that I am lazy.

kr4ster said...

I felt about the same.. Death Proof was pretty much a disappointment. If I could, I would have chopped out everything but the redneck scene and the last bit you mentioned.

Planet Terror.. now that was a zombie masterpiece. It has nearly everything. I don't mind Tarentino in it so much -- though he's in it a bit more than I like. This is one of the few movies that's been able to make me laugh out loud in the theater until I cried (I'm thinking the chase scene near the end).

Grimmstail said...

Good lord. I nearly pissed in my pants at that scene. And the flying leap by the chick near the end. Holy fucking shit. I love Rodrguez with my whole body, etc etc.

Also, Rev 6 of the script is in the works now, so don't sweat the old version too much. It's kind of a massive rewrite.

Unknown said...

I also didn't see why all the love for Death Proof. It was way too self referential and it dragged for looooooooooooong amounts of time. Hell, the fake trailers were better than most of Death Proof.

Planet Terror was the shit. Rodriguez clearly understands the grindhouse concept better than Tarantino and executed it perfectly.

suyapi said...

Damn, now I need to see that movie. Why I haven't, I don't know. I do love me some RR.